Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Tesla Model S software version 5.6 update (Update: now 5.8)

Tesla service updated my Model S software from 4.5 to 5.6. This has been a pleasant update. Some of the changes I really like are:
  • Automatic display brightness adjustment at dusk and dawn: I have my display mode set to auto switch between day and night modes. I keep my display at 50% brightness in day mode and 5% brightness in night mode. Prior to 5.6, at dusk and dawn the display will switch to night mode and 5% brightness when there was still quite a bit of light. That made 5% brightness too dark and not quite readable. This forced me to tweak the brightness level a few times until sun rose or set fully. With version 5.6, display brightness ramps up/down from one mode to the other at dusk and dawn. This keeps the display from being too dark or too bright at these times and it has been a pleasure to see the display at right brightness at all times without having to fiddle with controls. Great job on this feature from Tesla!
  • Status line on instrument panel: Status line at the bottom of instrument panel used small font and the background made it even a little harder to read it at quick glance. With 5.6, background has been improved and fonts are bigger. It is a whole lot easier to read now - 

  • FM Radio: FM radio screen has changed slightly. There is a button near the top to enable/disable HD radio. Fonts are thinner and sharper especially for the preset buttons. I like the minor enhancement overall - 



One of the major features of 5.6 was low power consumption mode when not driving, aka sleep mode. Unfortunately I have not yet seen significant benefit from this yet. Vampire loss seems to have gone down just a bit but not enough. On a cold night like last night when temperature dipped to 24 deg F (my car is parked inside an insulated but not heated garage overnight), I still lost 7 rated miles (or 8 ideal miles) overnight over a period of 11 hours. Car was plugged in the whole night.

Update (Nov 18, 2013): I had contacted Tesla about the vampire loss. They told me it should get better with 5.8. I got updated to 5.8 over the weekend. I checked overnight again. This time I lost 4 rated miles (5 ideal miles) overnight over 11 hours. So it is better, but not as good as 1-2 miles loss over 24 hours others had reported with 5.6.

No comments:

Post a Comment