Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Dolby 5.1 sound on Amazon prime video

I recently signed up for Amazon Prime. I no longer subscribe to cable or satellite TV, so I was primarily interested in the Amazon Prime Video service. I have a Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV box and a Sony SMP-N100 streaming box which can play video from Amazon. Google TV box is what is connected to my main home theater. Sony SMP-N100 is used for casual watching in family room. I use a Marantz SR6007 receiver as pre-processor and THX Ultra certified Denon AVR-4800 as amplifier. I have a 7.1 setup with KEF speakers primarily, except for Polk Audio bipole/dipole for surround back and Klipsch subwoofer. The gist of it is sound quality is as important to me as the video quality.

I fired up Google TV and started playing the movie "Skyfall". I got 1080p picture which is great but the sound was plain stereo! I double checked all cables, connections and settings but no 5.1 sound. I get 5.1 sound from Netflix on the same google TV just fine. I called Amazon and Sony and they both pointed fingers at each other. Since I was getting nowhere, I decided to move the Sony SMP-N100 box to the home theater and simply swapped google TV with this box. I fired up the same movie "Skyfall" again and voila, there was 5.1 sound. Looks like the Amazon app for google TV is picking the wrong audio stream. I called Amazon again and their response was pretty much this is how it is. So the Amazon google TV app has been handicapped in audio department for no good reason. What gives????

No comments:

Post a Comment